With the events of the world, now more than ever, germs are a constant concern. The kitchen is the one place where everyone can gather to enjoy a good meal and good conversation. The last thing you want to worry about is your kitchen littered with germs from daily activities. The great news is that you might already have the perfect countertop for preventing bacteria! Thankfully, with a few simple steps, you can significantly reduce the spread of germs throughout your kitchen and, ultimately, your home.
What can you do right now?
These steps you can start right now to help keep germs under control. Keep in mind there are good germs that humans need for their health, so be careful not to over clean. There needs to be a happy medium by:
- Washing pans, dirty dishes, and cutting boards immediately after use. This will stop the germs from spreading, but it also reduces the clean-up time after the meal.
- Wash your hands regularly, including before and after preparing the meal.
- Make a routine of wiping down surfaces regularly.
- Remove the trash regularly. If it’s possible, have a larger can outside. Take out any old foods, chicken products, or anything else that might spread germs immediately.
- Prevent cross-contamination. Don’t let raw meat touch anything but the cutting board or the pan. Wash your hands, cutting board, and utensils after working with the raw meat.
- Don’t double-dip the utensils. Tasting is necessary, but don’t reuse the same spoon twice. Get a new one each time to taste test.